The Timberwolf section is open to boys and girls ages 8–10 (grades 3 through 5). Timberwolves form a “Pack” (much like the Otter “Raft” or Pathfinder “Troop”) and the smaller units within the Pack are known as “Sixes,” and both boys or girls may join (with the ideal number being 6–8 per Six).
The Pack should meet as a unit at least once a month (not counting outdoor activities and community service outings), and be led by the Pack Leader or Cubmaster (Akela) with help from the Assistant Pack Leader. Each Six should be led by a “Sixer” and a “Seconder” selected by Akela from the Timberwolves within that Six. The Sixer helps lead his or her Six during Six activities, and may also assist in training the less-experienced members. At the Pack Meetings, the Timberwolves can, after the opening ceremony, announcements, etc., break out into their smaller units (Sixes) to work on whatever it is they’re learning at the time.
Timberwolves includes games and practical activities based on The Jungle Book as written by Robert Baden-Powell’s friend, Rudyard Kipling. Much of the learning is “by doing.” The overall program is similar in appearance to B-P’s original pre-1960s Wolf Cub program.
- Hat – navy blue baseball-style cap with the Timberwolf Badge centered on the front
- Shirt – ash gray long-sleeve jersey tee with no collar, sleeves rolled up or down
- Pants – navy blue cargo pants or shorts
- Necker – 32″ square neckerchief of the group’s color(s), worn with a ring or slide (“woggle”) at the throat
- Socks – dark blue, khaki, green, or gray knee-length socks, worn turned down at the knee with green tabbed garters showing on outside
- Shoes – brown or black
- Uniform Reference Guide (patch placement)
- BPSA Timberwolf Handbook (5th Edition, March 2019) – handbook for all Timberwolf scouts.
- Wolf Cub Handbook – original Wolf Cub handbook by Robert Baden-Powell
- Cubmaster’s First Year – Great resource for new Timberwolf Pack Leaders.
- How to Run a Pack – More details on running a Timberwolf Pack by Gilcraft.
- The Pack Scouter’s Handbook – Great resource for Timberwolf Cubmasters.
- The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling – Free ebook from Project Gutenberg
- Kim by Rudyard Kipling – Free ebook from Project Gutenberg